« Home | The Hemispheric Institute of Performance and Polit... » | Presentation-Reactions and Observations » | Presentation Schedule:4/7:MyrtEllenKarina4/14Cyren... » | Not quite sure what performance studies is? Perhap... » | gumbo yaya/ or this is why we speak in tongues-the... » | still untitled » | Sancocho, or The Choreography of the Colonized: An... » | In the Break of Black Women's Vocality » | "Tango and the senses of place" [no title yet] » | what is performance studies? some useful starting ... »

Reactions to last week presentations

Sorry about the late post----

I really enjoyed listening to the presentations last week. It is so exciting and inspiring to see our colleagues' work because we finally get to see what everyone is really passionate about. I also think seeing and critiquing our colleagues presentations can be helpful in creating our own work because we have a chance to see the different ways people choose to present their projects.

Myrt's presentation of his project was touching and inspiring. After hearing bits and pieces of his ideas in the class and seeing his drawings in the P.S. lounge, it was amazing to see it all put together into such a beautiful presentation. I agree with Karina that it is a humane project and it is so important to have ideas like this presented in all academic fields, but especially in Performance Studies. I also think that you should shorten your introduction a little bit so that you don't have to rush reading it and so the focus of the audience can be quickly captured by the video. I would leave in the personal account of what inspired you to create the project and maybe take out some of the parts about how you ended up in NY and your frustrations with academia. Although we all have them, it takes away slightly from the main focus of your project.

Ellen's topic is really interesting. I think she has a lot of great ideas and like many of our projects it seems like quite a vast subject, especially for a presentation of 15 minutes. I think for the presentation Ellen should just pick a few main points, (the most important ones) that she wants to communicate and try and organize them as clearly as possible. I really like your post on the blog about your project, Performing Blackness, and I think there are a lot of good examples that you point out. I also think you should definitely have images from the World's fair maybe being projecting on the screen while you are reading and maybe you can take some images that are being creating today and talk about them briefly to bring this topic into the present.

Karina's project is interesting and wonderfully creative. I think its a great idea to use food as a metaphor and to present all the different ingredients that are used to make up this dish, each pertaining to a different idea. It was helpful to see the ideas that are being used to help you create your performance, but it is hard to imagine exactly what the performance is going to look like. Are you still going to have these images in the background? I think it might be a good idea. Are you also going to have some kind of intro to your performance? I'm not really sure what would be better an intro or no intro. But I don't think I can decide before I see what the performance will look like.


Ok, I hope these comments are somewhat helpful...see you all in class