« Home | Presentation Schedule:4/7:MyrtEllenKarina4/14Cyren... » | Not quite sure what performance studies is? Perhap... » | gumbo yaya/ or this is why we speak in tongues-the... » | still untitled » | Sancocho, or The Choreography of the Colonized: An... » | In the Break of Black Women's Vocality » | "Tango and the senses of place" [no title yet] » | what is performance studies? some useful starting ... » | Approaches to Fieldwork in Performance Studies »

Presentation-Reactions and Observations

In general, I think that we are reaching a good point in each of our topic's discussion. Myrton's project is well thought out and its HUMANE. I think Academia needs more compassion, more humanity. And Myrton's project is all about that. Bringing into perspective the historical misinterpretations of the Native American image, he takes us on a clear visual journey of what is precisely complicated and ironic in the images and how they are assimilated in popular and historical realms. I agree with Frank that you should (and I should) have a more clear introduction to the project. I appreciate the biographical recount, but I also think that the intro should incorporate questions regarding media representation and the construction of the Native American identity in the context of contemporary USA.

Ellen's project seems to have a clear grasp on its subject of study. But I am still not sure what is being addressed about these subjects. There are suggestions about the image of the African American entering the realm of historic representation, and there are also questions about authenticity and the 'legitimization' of who acknowledges and constructs these representations, which seem like good themes to grasp on! Ellen you're gonna kick some ass, I just know it...
It seems like my project is taking many directions as I go deeper into research. I've been reading Fanon, Heidegger (on notions of ontology); I've been re-reading Lepecki, Said, Thiong’o, Taylor, P. Carter and Edward Said (on the relationship of mobility, ground and the colonial subject); and finally I've been investigating personal artistic recounts/ biographies on the construction of the 'racialized' body in the context of the USA (Piper, Mendieta, Coco Fusco, Guillermo Gómez Peña, Rita Indiana Hernández, Urayoán Noel, Rey Emmanuel Andújar). There is allot to learn and to grasp from these theorists/ artists. But what I am trying to nail down is how this relationship of identity 'grounding' (the coming to being of the Latino/ Colored identity in the colonized/post-colonial ground) and my personal experience. I have ideas about the 'choreography' that I want to mount, especially in relationship to the metaphor of Sancocho (the Boricua soup) and the random assimilation of the Latino/ Black image in the media and in the works of the artists cited below. I just don't think that I can actually perform the piece until the actual day of the conference. I'm thinking about it as a type of 'happening'. So this is why my approach in the presentation was a description of what I plan to happen. But its all circumstantial...Please if you have any comments/ suggestions, let me know!!
Eric, I really appreciate your encouragement and suggestion. I will take it into perspective!

Talk soon familia,
Karina